Sunday, April 11, 2010

The New Spiritual Partnerships: 2010

I’ve been hearing more and more this year from people who are really on a different path when it comes to relationships or partnerships. Not only in how to “meet that special someone”, but in who that someone might be and what they truly want from all of their relationships really. In the true sense of the word, relationship is simply relating to another, whether it is a single person, a community or nation.

As more and more people are now on a more spiritually-based path, it is a given that they will learn more loving ways to relate to others. And of course this brings all relationships up to be seen and attended to where needed. I personally think of a “spiritual path” as the maturing of the human soul, and by “spiritual” I mean natural. The maturing of the human soul is natural evolution and is inevitable.

This year brings much Light onto how we relate to one another and closer to home, to ourselves. As such, this year and beyond, is a huge opportunity for healing our relationships with ourselves and others, so that we may learn to co-exist in more loving, healthy ways. Every soul yearns for this, and sometimes we are almost painfully aware of this deep yearning to share Home with another Being in true partnership. I believe there will always be a deep desire to share this magnificent journey of Being Love and Light. It is how God expresses and experiences Itself best.

As my wish is to bring more Light to our journey, the first question to ask ourselves is “Why do I want to be in or have a relationship?” This will flush out all underlying motives that may not result in the answer simply being “to share Love.” This is a good way to clear any old foundations learned around relationships that may not be serving us well. This is what the newly evolving partnerships are teaching us.

A few days ago a friend brought up two interesting questions about relationships that I thought would be very helpful to share with you. She said someone was talking to her about relationships and said there are two things to consider when thinking about what kind of relationship you want. The questions are:
1. What do you want from the relationship?
2. What are you willing to bring to the relationship?

The minute she asked the second question, my own answer popped into my head and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by it, not only because it was so obvious, but because it is the very thing I have been working on in my relationship with myself. (I know. No-brainer, eh?) The answer I immediately got was the list of what A Course in Miracles calls the characteristics of “God’s Teachers”; Trust, Honesty, Tolerance, Gentleness, Joy, Defenselessness, Generosity, Patience, Faithfulness and Open-mindedness. Of course I would also add a sense of humor, loving-kindness and inner peace.
At that moment, I realized that these are the things I want to share with someone in a relationship in order to share Love and to learn more about Infinite Love. These are the new relationships sprouting amongst maturing souls now and it is so wonderful to see.

Another question came to me after talking with another friend recently; “Would I want the person to be a lot like me?” In the past, I would have said not really, but over the past year especially I’ve realized I actually would want to be with someone very similar to my Real Self, my spirit. I actually said to my friend, “yes, I’d like to date my own spirit.” :) (It’s ok. You can laugh.)

I’m sure there are lots of great books about relationships and there are a few now beginning to talk more about relationships from the perspective of the mature soul. Here are some I have found very helpful in learning about Love and my relationship with myself and others:
Walking Through Walls: Practical Spirituality for an Impractical World, by Lee Jampolsky
The Tao of Equus, by Linda Kohanov
Take Me to Truth, by Nouk Sanchez & Tomas Vieira

As well, there are several great websites such as Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks’ site at http://www.hendricks.com/, which truly comes from and teaches about conscious relationships, where we are all heading. There is also an excellent, insightful short video with Gay Hendricks on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5npp6LqdSE.

Wishing you a happy journey and peaceful, blessed relationships this year and always.

In Love and Light,

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment